Thursday, February 12, 2015

Homemade Granola Bars

I decided to go ahead and make the homemade granola bars last night and they were a hit! I am attempting to stop eating as much processed food, but I really love granola bars, so this was a good step in that direction. Yes, there is whole stick of butter in these, but it makes 18 bars. At this point, I feel better using butter in my recipes rather than margarine. I am convinced that there is so much cancer in this world today due to processed foods just like margarine. (We still use margarine for some things because Jon prefers it.)

I first need to give credit to this youtuber that I love to watch. Her name is Jen and she has a video showing how to make them. Easy Granola Bars I changed a few things from her recipe, but it is pretty similar to hers. Here it is!


Ingredients
1 stick butter (Make sure to use REAL butter)
1/2 cup honey
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup peanut butter
3 cups oats
3 cups Rice Krispies
1 teaspoon vanilla
2/3 cup chocolate chips


Steps
1. In a large bowl, stir oats and Rice Krispies together. Set aside.
2. In a medium pot, melt butter, honey, brown sugar, and peanut butter together.
3. Let the mixture start to bubble. Reduce heat and cook for 2 more minutes.
4. Add vanilla to mixture, then pour over the dry mixture.
5. Mix well
6. Pour mixture into a greased 9x13 baking dish.
7. Press down until the top is flat.
8. Sprinkle chocolate chips over mixture and press into the granola.
9. Cool on counter for 10 minutes
10. Place granola in fridge for 20-30 minutes.
11. Cut into bars and place in baggies.

Other toppings: Coconut, dried fruit, nuts, raisins, mini m&m's, caramel chips
Note: If you do not want the peanut butter taste in the mixture because you are doing a fruit or other topping that would not go well with peanut butter, use 2/3 cup brown sugar and no peanut butter.




2 comments:

  1. I love how you put it in ziploc bags just like Jen does it! I am ready for your youtube channel now!!!

    ReplyDelete